I came across this recipe when I was just surfing the cooking boards one night and it just jumped out at me. The picture looked so yummy that I had to try out the recipe. I love the combination of cheesecake and brownies and these looked perfect! The only thing I did differently was that I added mini chocolate chips instead of regular sized ones since I just wanted to use up the bag that I had sitting in the pantry. I also didn’t add the whole bag, it was about 1 1/4 cups of chips instead of the 12 oz bag that it called for. It still turned out great since I didn’t want too much chocolate in the cheesecake layer. I had to cut the pieces into really small pieces since they were so rich and decadent, which worked out well since most people couldn’t finish a whole piece.
Black Bottom Brownies adapted from Dinner and Dessert’s Blog
For the brownie bottom:
6 ounces best-quality unsweetened chocolate
½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
4 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla
For the cheesecake layer:
1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
6 large eggs
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups (one 12-ounce package) semisweet (58%) chocolate chips
Before you start:
Position a rack in the center of your oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly butter a 9×13-inch pan. Line the pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
To make the brownies:
1. In the top of a double boiler over simmering, not boiling water, melt the chocolate and the butter, stirring to combine. Set aside to cool to warm.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
4. Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and combine with a whisk. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate/egg mixture and stir until just combined. Pour the brownie better into the prepared pan, and spread evenly.
To make the cheesecake layer:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the cream cheese, sugar, and the salt until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, 2 at a time, and mix well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Stir in the vanilla.
To complete the brownies:
1. Pour the cheesecake mixture over the brownie layer. Sprinkle the chocolate chops evenly over the cheesecake layer.
2. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before slicing and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. May be served cold or at room temperature.
Store the brownies in a single layer in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. For longer storage, freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Do not uncover before defrosting.