I first saw this recipe on Dinner and Dessert’s blog and I just wanted to make it right away. I figured it would be a great dessert for my Christmas dinner but then I was hestitant since I’ve never made it before and it looked pretty complicated. I’m so glad I read her blog because she had a lot of good tips and I’m glad I read about them so that I can adjust it. I also wanted a moist cake and I’ve read some reviews on Bon Appetit and some have said it was a bit dry. I didn’t want to take my chances so I used Hershey’s Perfect Chocolate Cake for the cake instead of the original. The only other thing I changed was that I only made half of the white chocolate cream and there was plenty to fill the layers.
I must say, this cake was a big hit! Everyone loved it! Even Brian, who isn’t a big chocolate cake fan loves the cake! You really have to make this cake, you will absolutely love it!
Chocolate Cake with Peppermint Frosting as seen on Dinner and Dessert adpated from Bon Appetit
Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake from Hershey’s
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
* 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
* 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
* 14 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
White Chocolate Cream
* 12 oz high-quality white chocolate (such as Lindt or Perugina), finely chopped (I just bought Ghiradelli’s White Chocolate Chips)
* 3 cups chilled heavy whipping cream, divided
* 1 1/2 teaspoons pure peppermint extract
* 2 1/4 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup water
* 3 large egg whites
* 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
* 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
* Bittersweet chocolate curls
Dark chocolate ganache
* Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in medium saucepan. Remove from heat; add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Transfer to small bowl. Chill until firm enough to spread, about 1 hour. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Before using, let stand at room temperature until soft enough to spread, about 30 minutes.
NOTE: I had problems with the ganache because it hardened up on me while I was just finishing up the second layer. It made it hard to spread onto the cake and it would tear it up. So to fix that, I just put the bowl of ganache over a pot of simmering water and stirred it until it became softer. This made spreading it on the cake much easier.
White Chocolate Cream
* Place white chocolate in large heatproof bowl. Bring 1 cup cream to simmer in saucepan. Pour hot cream over white chocolate. Let stand 1 minute; whisk until smooth. Whisk in extract. Cover; chill until mixture thickens and is cold, at least 4 hours. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill.
* Add 2 cups chilled cream to white chocolate cream and beat until smooth and peaks form. DO AHEAD Can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover and chill. Rewhisk to thicken, if necessary, before using.
* Using long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place 1 cake layer on platter, cut side up. Spread 1/3 of dark chocolate ganache over cake. Spoon 2 cups white chocolate cream in dollops over cake; spread evenly to edges. Top with second cake layer, cut side down; spread 1/3 of ganache over, then 2 cups white chocolate cream. Repeat with third cake layer, cut side up, remaining ganache, and remaining cream. Cover with fourth cake layer, cut side down. Chill while preparing frosting.
* Combine sugar, 1/2 cup water, egg whites, and corn syrup in large bowl of heavy-duty stand mixer. Whisk by hand to blend well. Set bowl with mixture over saucepan of gently simmering water; whisk constantly with hand whisk until mixture resembles marshmallow creme and ribbons form when whisk is lifted, 8 to 9 minutes. Whisk in peppermint extract. Remove bowl from over water and attach bowl to heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until mixture is barely warm to touch and very thick, 7 to 8 minutes.
* Using offset spatula and working quickly, spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle chocolate curls over top and sides. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; chill.